I was assigned to Lisa Thumann's blog entitled "Thumann Resources". Mrs. Thumann is very technologically literate and has great insights into the various uses of technology.
The first post I read on her blog was titled "I Love, Love, LOVE Technology...But" and this post was about a private school in South Jersey that has next to nothing when it comes to technological tools. They have no school network, no Wi-Fi, and the teachers have no email system. When I read this I thought to myself, "How is that even possible?" I can't imagine a school without these important, and necessary educational tools. Then I thought, "What do they have?". If their resources are that slim, how are these students learning to achieve success in the 21st century? I assume they are learning the old fashioned way that leaves little to the imagination, and the students themselves are probably bored to tears.
In her post, Mrs. Thumann was trying to help one of the teachers from the school find funding to get the school networked. I think that Mrs. Thumann is awesome for seeing the need to help this school because she knows how important it is for students to have access to technology in order to learn.
The second post I read was titled "Who Owns Your Data?" This post addresses the use of Google Apps and the matter of privacy in using such applications. I thought this was a great post because I had never really used Google Apps until this class, and I had never really thought about the privacy settings. In her post she explained that Google stores apps for businesses and schools alike, under the terms and conditions for however long the business or school has agreed to use them. She also addresses that Google apps DOES meet the standards for school privacy and makes a version specifically for educational purposes to reduce the risk of privacy failure.
Overall, I enjoyed reading Mrs. Thumann's posts, and I will continue to follow her blog! If you would like to view or follow her blog, here is the url:
http://thumannresources.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment