Monday, October 25, 2010

Blog Assignment 8

Richard E. Miller's: "This is How We Dream"

These videos were amazing! Richard Miller's multimedia writings had so many elements; examples of articles, pictures, video, sounds...and he navigated through them so easily. I would definitely consider him to be VERY technologically literate! I think his ideas are fascinating, and to be able to one day compose these types of multimedia would be AWESOME!!

I don't think that at this moment I would be able to compose a multimedia writing as integrated as Mr. Miller's, but I would love to learn more and more on how to. I think that some of the things I have learned from this class could definitely help me to get started. With programs like screen flow, and screen jelly and all of the amazing research possibilities of the internet, along with my trustee Mac, I could come up with something! 

I think it would be incredible to be able to do multimedia writing in my future classroom. It would add so much more to presentations, and hopefully motivate the students to be more excited about writing. Then they could all present their individual multimedias to the class, and it would be way more interesting than listening to someone reading a paper aloud. I am excited about the combination of technology and humanities. I think it makes both subjects a lot more interesting.

EDM 31o For Dummies  & The Chipper Series


I think these videos are very appropriate for this class. As frustrating as it is to get started and breathe before freaking out, once you finally catch on, this class is really quite fun and informative. I have learned a lot of things that I new little or nothing about before I started EDM 310.

I especially enjoyed "EDM 31o for Dummies" when I first started this class because it was exactly how I was feeling!!



The "Chipper" series is very relevant for me at this point in the class. Lately I have had a hard time keeping up and I made it my midterm resolution to be better about it. I never thought that I would be this overloaded by my classes at the beginning of the semester, but I am. I think the best thing to do is to do the best I can and try harder.



Why Smartboards Are a Dumb Initiative & Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards"

I strongly disagree with Michael Staton's article. First off, there are so many more GREAT things about smartboards that put his two, very weak arguments to shame. What about how the kids can play interactive educational games? I think that would get them excited for more than an hour. How about the fact you can play movies on a smartboard, and eliminate having to have space for a television and DVD player in the classroom...let alone free up some storage space and get rid of all the DVDs. How about the capability to listen to music, view artwork, watch theater productions?? I think all of these elements add value to the classroom. Can you do that by taking  picture of a whiteboard? I'm an adult an my attention span is captured for much longer periods of time if you give me something visual and interactive. How interactive is a overhead projector?

As far as Bill Ferriter's article goes... I am also opposed. He makes basically the same points that Mr. Staton makes. From my personal experience with whiteboards, I don't see how they could be a waste of money. If I am 24 years old and love when my teachers use them in the classroom, I can't imagine that kids would not love it too. I think there are many people who are pessimistic and cynical about these types of technology, but maybe it is because they are too afraid to take the time to learn what awesome things they really can do with a smartboard. I think these are the first articles I have not liked since this class began...I prefer to dwell on the enthusiastic side of things. These kids look like they are having a good time learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment