Monday, October 25, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

The Child Driven Education

To start, I would like to say this video was so inspiring and eyeopening. I think that as we grow into adults, we forget how we thought and learned thinks as children. As a result, we underestimate the ability of our younger generations, and their amazing ability to learn.

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?
Absolutely! I think that any curious person can teach themselves about the things they are interested in.

2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?
Well I believe this video certainly proved that.  In a way, I think that kids have the ability to learn more, because they are more curious and have the time to sit down and explore.

3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?
I think it is important to have books, a computer, the internet, and other people to bounce ideas off of and collaborate with.


4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?
They are a window of knowledge. Everything out there can be accessed and studied through the use of theses items.


5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?
I think that the more motivated you are the more time you will spend exploring and learning. I think that for a group of people who have never had the use of a computer and the internet are more likely to be motivated right off the bat, because it is new and the possibility are pretty much endless.


6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
It is an opportunity for a learner to use the internet to solve the problem or find the answers. It forces them to be resourceful and teach themselves to use the internet to find a solution


7. How do you motivate someone to learn?
I think it is important to be encouraging and supportive. The more a person feels a sense of reward the more motivated they become to learn even more.


8. How are you motivated to learn?
I am motivated by both success and failure. I like to be right and do good so when I am, it encourages me to keep going and learning. When I am wrong or don't catch onto something right away, i encourages me to try harder because I know that I will eventually understand it. If  I was to give up I would never learn the really hard stuff!


9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?
I think that they could, but probably wouldn't learn as much as they potentially could if they were motivated.


10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
All the time!! Most of the time in my Pre Cal class I don't really understand anything until I sit down, read the chapter & practice problems from the book and online. For this class, through some guidance, I have taught myself a lot of things. Also, anytime I am curious about something, I google it and explore until I understand it. I think it is fun to be a self learner!

11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
Guidance, encouragement and assessment.


12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
I like when he said "If children have interest, then education happens." I think that is a really important concept to take away from this assignment.


13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?
Perhaps the issue of the kids stumbling upon websites that aren't appropriate, and how to address that those are not acceptable "learning tools".
http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_the_child_driven_education.html

No comments:

Post a Comment