Monday, October 25, 2010

Blog Assignment 9

What I've Learned This Year

I took a lot from this post by Mr. McClung. I think it is impossible to enter into a career worried whether or not you are going to meet the expectations of your superiors. But as a teacher, that really isn't who you need to impress the MOST. You need to capture the attention of your students and cater to them, not what you think your superiors are going to love. 

Mr. McClung made so many great points in his essay. His point on lesson plans is very comforting. I think it is very important to be flexible, and that is definitely something my teachers here at South have encouraged. I have learned that what may work one year for one class, may not work for another class the next year. It is our job as teachers to be creative and adapt our lessons to the students' needs. 


I also was excited to see that he included that we should not be afraid of technology. I am not, and I definitely agree that technology is our friend.

Lastly, Mr. McClung's idea of listening to your students, and never stop learning are two points I strongly agree with. I want to make sure my future students know that I care and listen to their thoughts and ideas with respect and value. I also want to make sure I constantly continue the process of learning for myself. I think that is so important. To learn from all elements of everyday life and stay up to date with new information.

What I've Learned This Year

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on what Mr. Clung said and he made some great points also. I think technology is going to be a huge impact in the classrooms when we all become teachers. But like I said in my blog we aren't really going to be prepared until we step in a classroom on our first day of school. Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a really great job at summarizing all of McClung's points. Now I have a question for you: in your class experiences so far (albeit it, volunteer hours, observations, student experiences, etc.) is their something you would consider adding to this list that he hasn't already included?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mr. McClung's outlook and agree that we should always look for our students' opinions rather than our co-workers. After all, they are not the ones getting the education. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I love your listening ears picture!!

    ReplyDelete