The Networked Student
First off, I loved the way this video was illustrated! I found the cut outs to be very creative, and they made the video visually interesting. "The Networked Student" offered great information on PLN's and how they benefit the learning process. It seems like Mrs. Drexler really knows what she is doing!
When I was asked the question "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?", I first thought; guidance. I think I was somewhat right, however, the student in the video gave a lot more reasons. I think the point is that teachers in the 21st century have to be a different kind of teacher for a different kind of learning. Now that students are learning by more independent methods, teachers are needed for different purposes. These purposes include, helping students get their personal network established, helping the student to maintain the network, and helping the student reap the full benefits from the learning process.
I really found this video useful not only for my personal PLN, but also to help me in my future classroom. The student in the video was totally right when he said there is an information overload today. I want to make sure my future students know how to make informed decisions on what is good information and what isn't. I will definitely use a PLN from here on out!
A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
I think this video is awesome. What an awesome 7th grader! It sounds like she really enjoys doing her research and assignments much more through the use of her computer and the internet. I would assume she ACTUALLY enjoys learning! She was much more excited about her school work than a student who only does book work. I loved learning about her PLE. It is a little different than the one I am creating because she is keeping her assignments and projects on there.
The teacher of this 7th grader's class sounds like a really great teacher. I hope to make learning more interactive in my classroom as well. I want my students to enjoy the learning process and I think the technologies like the PLN will come in really handy to keep things exciting for my students.
The Machine is Changing Us
This is an excellent video. Micheal Wesch is a great speaker and I think that he and his student's have come up with some great theories. I loved the beginning with Neil Postman's comparison between Orwell's 1984 & Huxley's Brave New World. I definitely agree with Postman, there is a very apparent resemblance to Huxley's theme of self amusement in today's society. I think that Wesch does a great job of verifying this in his presentation.
I found there to be a lot of interesting truths in this video that I had not often thought about before watching it. But now I am more aware of the effects technology has on society and growing generations. There is definitely an extreme measure of narcissism in the world today and I suppose that is just a side effect of all the information and media we are exposed to today. But just like medicine, the intent or purpose is good, but there are side effects, nausea, narcissism what's the difference? Whatever...
No comments:
Post a Comment