For my first C4T, I was assigned to Jabiz Raisdana's blog entitled "Intrepid Teacher". The first post I read was titled "School Should Not Be Considered Work". The post was about a student's post on a blog about learning. The blog was set up by a teacher named Wilt Chamberlain. Mr. Chamberlain commissioned his students to do some reflective thinking on the process of learning.
According to Mr. Raisdana, this particular student missed the point on what the "school experience" is really about. In his post he references the student's thoughts and then constructively critiques and challenges them. The point he makes is that learning should not be laid to rest in the classroom. Learning should be a constant process enhanced by exploration in all aspects of life.
I believe Mr. Raisdana is absolutely right and I also commend Mr. Chamberlain on his assignment. The possibilities of learning are infinite. I think it is especially important that we convey that message to the student, and also let them know it is alright to ask questions. In my response I said "To be a teacher is to be a tool. We are there to facilitate the student, and if we are not motivating the students to appreciate the values of learning, then sadly we are failing them." I strongly stand by this and I definitely agree with Mr. Raisdana's excellent points.
The second post I read was entitled "Dazed, Amazed, and Determined". This post was awesome. Mr. Raisdana addresses the rewards of being a teacher, and how great it feels when a student reminds you of why you love being a teacher. One of Mr. Rasidana's previous students, James, was an exceptional 7th grader from Nigeria. In the classroom they pondered topics such as the relation of themselves to the environment, and how they could make the world around them even better. What Mr. Raisdana found touching was a blog post that James wrote upon returning to his home in Nigeria.
James' post was beyond superb. He wrote about his surroundings, and things he had begun to take notice of, like the social classes within his community and the effect of them. The way he wrote was absolutely profound and far more deep than what I would expect from a fourteen year old. What he wrote was truly beautiful and it had a great effect on his past teacher Mr. Raisdana.
To be fortunate enough to read this post, and excerpts from James' post, is a blessing. Not only did if give me butterflies in my stomach, it also made me incredibly excited about becoming a teacher and experiencing that same rewarding feeling Mr. Raisdana felt when he knew he had impacted his student.
No comments:
Post a Comment